Make Custom Cookies with Edible Toppers
My mother is an artist, see cardsbycathrina.com, and does a lot of entertaining and baking. She made edible toppers using her latest owl and bird drawings that she scanned and uploaded to YouCake. Below are the results along with a two-part how-to video— first the baking, then the decorating. She did not film the eating, but they are delicious. She used the following recipe from Eloises Easy Cookies Recipe. She flavored this batch with lemon, she has also done with orange. The top-tip to share is that she added some lemon juice when she thinned the royal frosting mix…a really, nice touch.
Since the toppers stay fresh in their sealed bags unopened for about a month, she took a pack with her to France. When she has guests come over she can make a batch of cookies and top them with her lovely owl art.
The results, they are really adorable!
The video, part-one baking:
The video, part-two decorating:
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients. Put in refrigerator over night
- Divide into 4 pieces and roll out to about 1/8” and cut into rounds or whatever….
Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden. Let stand on cookie sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks. Let cookies cool completely before icing.
For 3in. round cookies use 3.5 in cookie cutter
3 oz pasturized egg whites and 4 cups of confectioner’s sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla (or other flavoring)
Beat the egg whites at least 4 minutes until stiff and shiny white
Add little by little the powdered sugar add vanilla
Thin with water or juice to paint on cookies prior to putting on the YouCake topper